The Harriman Story
Harriman was founded by George Coombs, who passed the firm on to his sons Harry and Fred in 1909. In 1928, Alonzo J. Harriman (George Coombs great nephew), joined the firm as a partner. Alonzo (like founder George Coombs) was well known for his expertise in architecture and structural engineering. In 1939, after the death of Harry Coombs, the firm became Harriman Associates.
Our strong A/E heritage continues today. Multi-disciplinary staff collaborates to develop creative, integrated and resourceful solutions. Our culture values research, dialogue, and debate as a cornerstone of how we interact with each other and our clients.
Over its long history, Harriman and its predecessor firms have been responsible for many of the most important public and private buildings throughout Maine: libraries, schools, city halls, churches, commercial blocks, fire stations, mill buildings, military facilities, courthouses, hospitals, utility buildings, theaters, banks, and hotels. There are few large communities in Maine without a Coombs or Harriman building on its main street. Many have received Maine and National landmarks designations.
Today, the firm continues to bear Alonzo’s
name and is headquartered in Auburn in
a building we designed for ourselves.
We also have an office in Portland’s
Old Port section and in Manchester,
New Hampshire. We are still focused
on designing innovative architectural
and engineering work -- now throughout
New England and in Northern California.